All nine ingredients in this humanlike pitcher, explained (yep, also butylated hydroxytoluene)
We’re often told the you should never eat noþeles (or put anything on her body) if you nothing recognize every little thing on the ingredients list. But because most the us have actually no idea what xanthan gum or potassium benzoate are — or more importantly, what castle doing to our bodies — we’re decoding the ingredient in the plenty of things Americans placed in (and on) themselves with the assist of an expert.
You are watching: What are the ingredients in kool aid
This edition: Kool-Aid Cherry Drink Mix, i m sorry is make from nine different ingredients that we’ve broken down in the specific order they show up on their website.
1) Sugar: An 8-ounce offer of Kool-Aid consists of 16 grams the sugar, i beg your pardon is a considerable amount. The American love Association proposal that guys consume no more than 36 grams and also that women consume no much more than 25 grams of added sugar every day. Too much sugar, if you didn’t already know, is devastating for you: A sugar-laden diet is linked with every kinds the ailments, indigenous heart disease to depression. But then, this is Kool-Aid — what go you expect?
2) Fructose: Fructose is a type of sugar discovered in fruits and also vegetables. It’s likewise found in plenty of sweeteners, like high-fructose corn syrup, i beg your pardon is incredibly unhealthy.
3) Citric Acid: Citric mountain is a cake flavoring agent acquired from citrus, and it’s often used come make assets like Kool-Aid nearly immortal, v no major quality fall no matter just how long they’re sit on the shelves.
4) Ascorbic Acid: Ascorbic acid is just an additional name for vitamin C. It’s provided as a preservative.
5) artificial Flavor: Artificial flavors space chemical compounds created in a lab the mimic a herbal flavor — like cherry — in part way. When that may sound unnatural (and thus, unhealthy), physician and also biochemist Cate Shanahan, author of Deep Nutrition: Why Your genes Need timeless Food, previously told united state that she has actually no real problem with fabricated flavoring: “They’re not killers because they’re added in very, very little quantities to food.”
6) Calcium Phosphate: Calcium phosphate have the right to be taken as a calcium supplement, but it’s also included to foods and drinks as a thickener or stabilizer, an interpretation this ingredient might help the Kool-Aid powder disperse evenly when blended with water.
7) man-made Color: Artificial colors have actually a poor reputation, yet as Shanahan defined during our evaluation of Doritos, studies saying this space a little bit flawed: “I’ve always been the the opinion that research studies claiming synthetic colors can cause cancer room irrelevant due to the fact that
All in all, the median person’s liver must be may be to malfunction whatever minuscule quantity of synthetic coloring we consume with food and drink.
8) Red 40: Red 40, prefer many man-made colors, is well-known to be cancerous. However as Shanahan defined above, you more than likely don’t have to worry around the reasonably tiny quantities found in Kool-Aid.
9) BHT: Butylated hydroxytoluene (aka BHT) is one more common preservative added to prevent commodities from spoiling. Studies continue to go ago and forth about whether or not it’s carcinogenic, for this reason it’s tough to say for certain whether the tiny amounts found in Kool-Aid would cause you any harm.
See more: How Many Us Presidents Were Eagle Scouts, How Many Presidents Have Been Eagle Scouts
Kool-Aid is usually sugar pumped with enough preservatives to make it through the End Times.
So if you want to live a long, healthy and balanced life, take into consideration both the literal meaning and metaphorical interpretations that “Don’t drink the Kool-Aid.”